Folding treadmills are fast becoming a popular choice for home exercise equipment. With today’s hectic, on-the-go lifestyle and stressful environments, more and more people realize the importance of including a daily exercise regimen, but are limited in their options because of various constraints like the pricey cost of gym membership or the lack of space to accommodate a home or office gym.
Folding treadmills give people the convenience of having their own exercise machine at home or in the office, at the fraction of the cost of other bulky exercise equipment, while providing value-added features like programmable workout sequences and other accessories that make for a truly personalized work-out. Their space saving feature compared to its traditional cousin makes folding treadmills a smart choice for living a healthy modern lifestyle.
The Ultimate Guide to buying a Folding Treadmill
Finding the perfect folding treadmill can be a bit daunting. There is a wide array of models with features and accessories to suit people’s varying needs, comfort and fitness level. Below you will find a comparison chart, buying guide, things to look for and the best folding treadmill reviews. Here are the top favourites:
|Name||Image||Weight (lb)||Dimensions||Electric/Manual||Price||Rating (/5)|
|LifeSpan TR 1200i Folding Treadmill||198||39 x 33 x 66"||Electric||$$||4.5|
|Weslo CardioStride 3.0||69||48.4 x 24.8 x 6.8"||Manual||$||3.0|
|Proform 505 CST Treadmill||186||73 x 30 x 11"||Electric||$$||4.0|
|Sole Fitness F80 Folding Treadmill||265||35 x 58 x 80"||Electric||$$$||5|
|Horizon Evolve SG Compact Treadmill||117||59 x 23 x 48"||Electric||$$||4.0|
|Horizon Fitness T202-03 Treadmill||196||70 x 33 x 58"||Electric||$$||3.5|
|Horizon Fitness T101-04 Treadmill||169||70.8 x 33.1 x 54.6"||Electric||$$||4.0|
|Sole Fitness F85 Folding Treadmill||265||35 x 58 x 80 inches||Electric||$$$||4.0|
Why Buy a Folding Treadmill
Folding treadmill designs have come a long way in terms of stability, durability and functionality. Today’s folding models can offer the same benefits as the traditional treadmill without compromising on quality and safety and at the same time having value added features. The following reasons may just convince you to invest in your own folding treadmill:
• Space. Perhaps space is the greatest motivation to get a folding treadmill. Most modern homes and living spaces do not have enough room to accommodate exercise machines and equipment. A folding treadmill can be easily packed away and stored allowing owners the needed living space after they finish their work out. Cramped apartments and small office cubicles do not necessarily need to prevent you from getting your much needed treadmill workout.
• Budget. Most people who do their research find that traditional treadmills can cost them quite a lot. Today’s folding treadmills are able to provide the same benefits as its traditional cousin, but at the fraction of the price. The added convenience of having your very own exercise equipment at home allows you to get a daily workout routine without necessarily having to pay for pricey gym memberships not to mention the added savings on gas and fares.
How to Choose the Best Folding Treadmill For You
The dizzying array of folding treadmill brands and models available on the market today can make it quite difficult to make the perfect choice. A few helpful tips on knowing how and what to look for can make the task of choosing what works best for you a lot easier. Here are some important things to consider:
1. Know your needs.
Before investing in anything worthwhile, it is important to understand your purpose. Same thing applies in choosing your folding treadmill. Knowing how you plan to use your equipment helps you better evaluate the pros and cons of your options. Allowing yourself the time to really understand your personal fitness goals helps you make better choices such as knowing whether an electric model would suit you better or would a manual treadmill work best for your needs.
2. Set a budget.
Once you know what kind of model you need, set a reasonable budget that you can afford to invest. Doing so limits your options to the models that meet your personal standards and are within your buying capacity.
3. Read up & Surf away.
The internet is a treasure trove of information that allows you to carefully study and consider your folding treadmill options. Read up on customer reviews and product information available online. Most sites allow you to ask questions about their products and even allow you to make specifications or bargain for discounts. Customer reviews give you an idea of how certain models perform in real world settings. There are also product forums that allow you to interact with other customers giving you the advantage of learning from their experience before actually purchasing your own unit.
4. Narrow your options and compare specifications.
After reading up on your possible choices, narrow your list down to a few of your most favored models. Begin weighing the pros and cons of each unit against each other. Use what you know from reading all those online reviews and product information. Compare products according to important specific features, such as:
- Dimensions – compare product dimensions of your choices to help you assess if a particular model is right for you. Important things to consider are its maximum weight capacity, treadmill dimensions when folded, dimensions when unfolded, product weight (especially if you plan to move your unit around).
- Belt and Deck – asses the quality of the treadmill’s belt and deck, as well as know whether its length and width are appropriate for your body type. Remember that the belt and deck of your folding treadmill are its most important features. Quality is important since these parts bear the brunt of your workout and are expected to get the most wear and tear.
- Motor – if you feel an electric folding treadmill is best for you, then it is important to be sure of the quality and durability of its motor. After all, a poor quality motor would defeat the purpose of investing in an electric folding treadmill.
- Warranties – it is important to check the coverage of your product’s warranty as it serves as your protection against factory defects and possible shipping damages. Compare product warranties as well as manufacturers’ customer after sales service when evaluating your choices. Know whether the manufacturers will replace parts or even the whole unit in case you receive a defective machine.
- Other Features – compare value added features against each other. Sometimes accessories and special features can considerably jack up the price of a machine. Know whether you would really need or will actually be using some of these features to help you make the most value out of your hard-earned cash.
Top 3 Folding Treadmills
Sole Fitness F80 Folding Treadmill (5/5)
The top rated Sole Fitness F80 folding Treadmill has been compared to a gym quality treadmill for its durability and its value for money.
It features Sole’s patented Cushion Flex Whisper Deck, proven to reduce impact to your joints by up to 40% as compared to running on asphalt. The super quiet 3.5 HP belt drive motor provides enough power for most workouts and is capable of delivering speeds of up to 12 MPH for high intensity runs. The deck inclines up to 15% for increased workout difficulty. Its console provides access to all the basic information you need for your workout. With six standard programs, two customizable programs and two heart programs, this folding treadmill allows users better control and access to a truly personalized work-out regimen.
Check out this review of the Sole Fitness F80 to see it in action.
Read more about the Sole Fitness F80.
LifeSpan TR 1200i Folding Treadmill (4.5/5)
This top-rating folding treadmill boasts a whisper quiet motor and a unique USB key device which tracks and records your exercise workouts and personal fitness information.
It has an Intelli-Step counting feature that works like a pedometer telling you how many steps you’ve taken during your workout. The LifeSpan TR 1200i has a durable and sturdy frame and running surface and dual side hand rails with control buttons that allow you to adjust your speed and incline without having to reach up to the control console. It also has a safety pause feature that automatically senses when you leave or step off the platform and automatically stops the treadmill for a period of time. The easy folding system makes it a breeze to pack up and store.
Check out the LifeSpan TR 1200i in action.
Read more about the LifeSpan TR 1200i Folding Treadmill.
Sole F85 Treadmill (4/5)
The Sole F85 also offers the same Cushion Flex Whisper Deck as the Sole F80. This feature has been proven to reduce impact to your joints by up to 40% as compared to running on asphalt.
It is a favourite for its wide 22’’ running surface and sturdy frame that can accommodate users up to 400 lbs. It also boasts of six built-in standard programs, two customizable programs and two separate heart control programs, a standard among Sole machines, that allows for more efficient and truly personalized workouts for every individual. The lifetime warranty on its frame, motor and deck is also a guarantee of its quality and durability.
Check out the Sole F85 in action.
Read more about the Sole Fitness F85 Folding Treadmill.
Folding treadmills have come a long way towards helping promote a healthier, more active way of life. Investing in your own folding treadmill need not be a stressful experience. Research and a little bit of diligence can go a long way towards helping you make the right choice for your needs.
Want something more portable? Check out our buying guide for portable treadmills or the best compact treadmills.