Portable treadmills are fast becoming one of the most popular exercise equipment in the market today. Designed to help people keep up a daily workout regimen, portable treadmills are light weight, affordable, can travel with you and most importantly, get you moving. Their convenience, portability and space saving attributes eliminate some of the most common reasons for not getting your workout done.
Need to travel? Most portable treadmills are designed to be lightweight and easily packed away and ready for use in your hotel room or even in your office.
Are your local gym memberships too pricey for your budget? Portable treadmills come in a range of affordable prices that allow you the luxury of your very own exercise equipment in the comfort of your own home, without the additional worry of paying for gas to drive to the local gym. Compact, easy to fold and ergonomic, most portable treadmills need very little space to be used and can easily be stored in most standard closets and trunk space. This makes them the perfect choice for most people with space issues.
The Ultimate Guide to buying a Portable Treadmill
There is a dizzying array of portable treadmills available out there that choosing one can be daunting. Here’s a quick and easy guide to specifications of some of the most popular brands available in the market.
Want to learn more about folding treadmills? Check out our guide!
|Name||Image||Weight (lb)||Dimensions||Electric/Manual||Price||Rating (/5)|
|Phoenix 98510 Easy-Up Manual Treadmill||45||21.7" x 21.1" x 50.2"||Manual||$$||4.0|
|500w Folding Electric Treadmill Portable Motorized Running Machine||56||46.8" x 22.9" x 50.6"||Electric||$$$||3.5|
|Confidence Power Plus Motorized Electric Treadmill||53||49” x 24” x 11”||Electric||$$||4.0|
|LifeSpan TR1200i Folding Treadmill||119||59.8” x 31.1” x 52”||Electric||$$$$$||4.0|
|Stamina InMotion Elliptical Trainer||24||24” x 20” x 12”||Manual||$||3.5|
|Stamina InMotion Manual Treadmill||52||47” x 22” x 47”||Manual||$$||3.5|
|Sunny Manual Treadmill||50.5||49.2” x 25.2” x 46.9”||Manual||$$||3.5|
Why Buy A Portable Treadmill?
Buying a portable treadmill boils down to allowing yourself the benefits of getting a regular exercise workout without the usual complications and factors that prevent you from getting your needed dose of sweat time. Portable treadmills are an invention of necessity that address the need for a healthy mind and body to keep up with the demands and stress of daily modern life.
The most compelling reasons for investing in your very own portable treadmill are:
- Having to pay for regular gym memberships or exercise classes can take its toll on our pockets and make a significant dent on our hard earned cash. The stress of having to keep up with membership dues to keep a fit body can run counter intuitive to living healthy. Not to mention the added expense required to actually get you to the gym, like paying for gas or bus rides and train fares. Portable treadmills are affordable, cost effective ways to keeping an exercise routine in the comfort and safety of your home or work space at a fraction of the cost of paying membership fees.
- Most modern apartments and office work spaces have barely enough room to accommodate various bulky fitness machines and exercise equipment. Most people do not have the luxury of space for their very own home or office gym. Portable treadmills are designed to occupy very minimal space and are really intended to be folded up and easily stored away after use.
- The hectic pace of modern living is often the primary reason people have for not working out. Most people say they just don’t have the time to go to the gym or jog around the block or attend a yoga class. Having a portable treadmill allows you to squeeze in a quick work-out without having to spend time for the commute or drive to the gym. It also allows you to schedule your workout at your most convenient time
- Comfort, convenience and safety. As portable treadmills are designed to be pack and go, you get the benefit of exercising whenever, wherever at your convenience. Portable treadmills give you the flexibility of working out at the office on your lunch break, when you’re too stressed to think, or working out at home before going to bed. Even when you are away on travel, you can exercise in the comfort, safety and privacy of your own hotel room. Having your own equipment gives you the power to choose when and where and how long you exercise.
Read some more reasons why a portable treadmill may be the best option for you.
How to Choose The Best Portable Treadmill For You
With all the portable treadmill brands and models available on the market today, it can be quite difficult to find the machine that would be best for you. Here are some important things to consider:
1. Understand your needs.
It is important to understand your own personal needs and find one that is well suited to your unique preferences and lifestyle. Finding the machine that suits you best will allow you to reap the most benefits and give you the most value for your investment. Consider questions like, “do I want an electric model or will a manual do?” or “would I really need a traveling bag for my treadmill?”. Also knowing your fitness goals can greatly help in choosing the right machine for you. Are you planning on sticking to a routine and increasing the intensity of your workouts as you progress? Or do you just intend to exercise occasionally and only to break out a sweat?
2. Plan your budget.
After evaluating your personal needs, know how much you are willing to spend on your own equipment. Have a realistic price range that you are willing to spend. Setting a budget narrows the field of options and allows you to better evaluate the treadmills that fall into your budget range.
3. Do your research.
Knowing your needs and your budget, use this site and the internet to read up on customer reviews and product information. Read up on the choices you have in your budget range and get to know the popular brands and styles available out there. This is the best time to list down your favorites and possible choices.
4. Compare specifications.
After narrowing down your choices to your most favored models, begin comparing and contrasting product specifications. Do not hesitate to contact manufacturers’ customer service and see if they have great after sales support. List down the pros and cons of your choices. Assess each product according to specific features such as:
- Product Dimensions – knowing the dimensions of your product can help you assess if a particular model is right for you. Consider things like its maximum weigh capacity, dimensions when folded, dimensions when unfolded, product weight (especially if you plan to take it along on travel).
- Belt and Deck – compare the lengths and width as well as the quality of the belt and deck. This is important since these parts are the ones that get the most wear and tear and will be bearing the brunt of your weight and stride and it is also where you do your workout. Portable treadmills generally have smaller belts and deck sizes and its important to know which models have the specifications that would best suit your needs.
- Motor – when choosing an electric portable treadmill, it is important to be sure of the quality and durability of its motor, it is after all the heart of your equipment.
- Warranties – compare product warranties as well as manufacturers’ customer after sales service. This is especially important in case you receive defective equipment or would need to have something repaired or replaced.
- Other Features – compare value added features. Many portable treadmills have display consoles, adjustable inclines and customizable exercise programs for electric models. Some brands have special travel bags and storage pouches that may be an important consideration for those who travel a lot. It is special features like these that may make one model stand out from its competition.
If you are interested in the most compact treadmills, check out our guide to the best small treadmill.
Top 3 Portable Treadmills
Phoenix 98510 Easy-Up Manual Treadmill (4.0/5)
This well loved manual portable treadmill is a favorite for its quiet and smooth operation as well as its no frills and uncomplicated assembly and storage. Its compact size and ergonomic features make it a popular choice for people with limited living and storage areas. The permanent incline can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on how you look at it. On one hand, the permanent incline provides added difficulty and a more intense workout, on the other the fact that it is permanently inclined means you do not have the option of adjusting it to a more comfortable angle for a less intense pace.
For an affordable price, the Phoenix 98510 Easy-Up Manual delivers on exactly what it was designed for. No bells and whistles, just a simple, functional and very effective portable treadmill.
Read more about the Phoenix 98510 Easy-Up Manual Treadmill.
LifeSpan Fitness TR200 Fold-N-Stor Compact Treadmill 2014 (4.0/5)
This multi-awarded treadmill is a favorite for its affordability and value for money compared to other electric models in its class. This fully-assembled machine is ready to use right out of the box and yet can still be easily be stored in most closets or under home furniture.
It features a control console that allows you to customize your exercise program by adjusting your incline or speed, as well as tracks your exercise time, calories burned and distance ran or walked. Its built in speakers and headphone port is a favorite feature for many of its satisfied owners.
Read more about the LifeSpan Fitness TR200 Fold-N-Stor Compact Treadmill.
Confidence Power Plus Motorized Electric Treadmill (4.0/5)
This favourite model is not as bulky as most of its counterparts, occupying less space and is relatively lightweight for an electric portable treadmill. Its built in wheels and easy to fold feature is a favourite for those with space issues and is quite popular with many users who workout at the office. With a durable and quiet motor it is a favoured companion for those who enjoy getting a work out while watching TV or reading a book or even surfing the net.
Its affordable price given its durability and versatility makes it a very good investment for many satisfied customers. Check it out in action.
Read more about the Confidence Power Plus Motorized Electric Treadmill.
A portable treadmill could be your best choice for living and maintaining a healthy active lifestyle. Finding the right one for your needs just takes a little time and effort. With the right attitude and a little diligence, the best portable treadmill for your needs can be a click away.
Want to learn more about portable treadmills? Check out our blog.